SA Field Police
The Field Police, sometimes known as the „Fepo”, made up a special formation of the SA that was set up on 24 February 1933. They consisted of around 180 men and moved into a former barrack building on General-Pape-Straße in the middle of the month of March. Their task on the one hand was to combat opponents of the regime. On the other hand, the Field Police also took on the job of keeping order among members of various Nazi Party formations.
Their uniform was different from that of other SA men. They wore blue coats as well as collar patches and uniform caps decorated with a „police star”. Head of the Field Police was the former adjutant of the SA sub-group in Berlin-West, Walter Fritsch.
On 1 October 1933 the Field Police units were renamed „Feldjägerkorps” (FJK – literally Field Hunter Corps. In December 1933 the Feldjäger moved to the Alexander casern in the Berlin district of Mitte. There is evidence that political prisoners were also arrested and mishandled there. In April 1935 the members of the Feldjägerkorps were integrated into the Schutzpolizei (regular police force) and the motorised traffic police.
The SA Field Police also had the task of keeping order among members of various Nazi organisations. It was therefore not uncommon that SA men or NSDAP members who had violated Party discipline were imprisoned at General-Pape-Straße.